Our highly-skilled 3D artists use your 2D photo as the basis for creating a color 3D surface. The 3D surface depth data is then used to drive our advanced machinery to create your BumpyPhoto. Generating a high-fidelity representative 3D surface of the objects and people in your photo is therefore key to the realism of the BumpyPhoto relief.
We've outlined below some (required and optional) tips when selecting a photo to get the best results:
- Image Size: It is essentially to have a good quality picture with a sharp face or faces in the foreground, which should be at least 2 megapixel and 200 K or bigger. We can use smaller images but you'll get blocky or blurry coloring on larger BumpyPhotos.
- What You Send Is What You Get: The bigger the image you send us the better the results. If the photo is blurry/grainy/low-resolution/over-exposed/too dark/tinted, then the coloring of the resulting BumpyPhoto will also be the same. It might also effect the accuracy of the 3D relief effect. However, you can fix these issues yourself if you are comfortable editing photos using various free online photo editors or free photo editing software. Alternatively, we can help fix some of these issues via our Photo Retouching Service - prices start at $35 per photo.
- Background Stays (mostly) Flat: We can ONLY convert faces, full bodies, pets, cars, building or objects. Each is going to be 3 dimensional in 180° and NOT 360°. The background is going to appear as mostly flat on the BumpyPhoto, although for added realism we do add minor surface detail based on the color intensity.
- No Hardcopies: Please do not send hard copies to our address, as we can not send them back to you. If you are not able to access a photo scanner, you can use online photo scanning services where you can mail your photo(s) to and get the digital images files emailed/mailed back to you.
- We might Crop your photo: By submitting a photo to us you authorize our designers to use discretion and crop your photos without providing notification. If you do not want us to crop the photo and would prefer that we leave it as is, please indicate that in the comments field when you submit your order.
- Copyrighted Images: By submitting a photo to us, we assume that you have the necessary legal rights to use this image and will not be held liable to any legal challenge due to your failure to own or clear these rights. Please refer to our Terms & conditions for details.
- Crop your photo: To maximize the space taken by the focal point in your photo, make sure to crop it appropriately. If you just want a BumpyPhoto of a person's face, their whole body or a group of people, then you can cut away most of the background. If you are comfortable editing photos yourself then you can use various free online photo-editors or free photo editing software to crop your photo. Alternatively, we can help fix some of these issues via our Photo Retouching Service - prices start at $35 per photo.
- No objects should cover any part of the face (e.g. hands, other faces, hats, sunglasses)
- High-contrast photos turn out better.
- Avoid Dark photos: Please avoid send dark pictures, or pictures where the foreground and background are the same colour (i..e. person wearing white sitting in front of a white wall). However, we can work on your photo to fix such issues via our Photo Retouching Service - prices start at $35 per photo.
Recommended (for best results)
- Straight-on Faces: The person in the photo should be looking straight to the front. The head can be turned 30° at the most.
- Avoid Props: Glasses, hats and caps might not be converted to 3D.
- Grimacing: Grimacing faces might not be accurately converted as they would not be as lifelike.
- Higher-resolution photos for Larger BumpyPhoto: If you are making a larger BumpyPhoto then you'll want to use a higher-definition image (i.e. 5 to 10 megapixels) to get avoid blurriness on the resulting relief - just like you would if you were making a large poster of a photo.